Saturday, March 6, 2010


Irish Georgian Society
Conserving Ireland’s Architectural Heritage



Patron: Mrs. Myrtle Allen




Saturday, 24th April, 2010 @ 09.45am

09.45am Meet at the car park of The Towers, Ballysaggartmore, (between Ballyduff & Lismore).
10.00am Tour of The Towers, (weather permitting)
11.30am Tour of St. Carthage’s Cathedral, Lismore by The Very Revd. Paul Draper, Dean of Lismore
1.00pm Lunch at O’Brien Chop House, Lismore
2.30pm Depart for Salterbridge House, Cappoquin
3.00pm Tour of Salterbridge House & Garden. Refreshments will be served.

The Towers: “The most extraordinary example in Ireland of a prelude to a castle that was never built…consisting of a castellated bridge and a pair of identical crenellated lodges”. (Jeremy Williams, The Architecture of Ireland © 1994.) This tour is weather permitting, will involve some walking and a good pair of practical shoes is required for this event.

St. Carthage’s Church of Ireland Cathedral “is an elaborate, monumental cathedral. The present edifice is the result of numerous phases of building and reconstruction, involving the work of a number of Ireland's pre-eminent architects, including William Robinson, Sir Richard Morrison, and James & George Richard Pain. A number of fittings, including the stained glass panels (designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones) and executed by William Morris are of particular artistic design”. (N.I.A.H., An Introduction to the Architectural Heritage of Co. Waterford © 2004)

O’Brien Chop House: The O’Brien name stands out proudly in relief above the shop-front of this old bar in the charming heritage town of Lismore, and it is wonderful to see it back in commercial action again – this time in the caring hands of Justin and Jenny Green, of nearby Ballyvolane House. Homemade and local food is at the heart of this enterprise and it’s a fair bet that the legendary butcher Michael McGrath along the street (who also supplies meats to Ballyvolane) was a major source of inspiration for bringing to West Waterford the idea of London’s old chop houses - which sold various chops, cutlets and steaks on the bone.

Salterbridge House is described as “A two storey house of 1849 built onto the front of an earlier house extending round three sides of a courtyard, enclosed on the fourth by a screen wall with an arch. The 1849 front consists of a 3 bay projecting centre, with a parapet and plain pilasters between the bays; and two storey single bay wings with eaved roofs and single-storey three sided bows”. (Mark Bence-Jones, A Guide to Irish Country Houses © 1988)

The Gate Lodge is a classically proportioned pavilion gate-lodge, which was built c.1849 by the Chearnly family, who owned the estate from the mid 18th Century until the 1950s. The lodge, though obviously in habitation in the 1930s when the Glanville family lived there, was derelict by the 1950s. Its function, like all gate-lodges, was to indicate to the passer-by the good standing and taste of the original owner, and to display some of the features of the architect's work, re-interpreted from the big house. It has been restored by the Irish Landmark Trust. See

Numbers are limited so advance booking is essential. Tickets cost €40 (members) €50 (non-members) including lunch and must be purchased in advance by completing the application form below. N.B. Full details: name, address, contact details & membership no. etc., of all persons attending the tour must be provided.

Terms & Conditions: The committee reserve the right to refuse admission to any event. No bookings accepted without payment. Attendees must provide own transport

Organised by: Kevin Hurley

Enquiries to or Mobile: 087-9266826

No comments:

Post a Comment