Irish Georgian Society
Conserving Ireland’s Architectural Heritage
Patron: Mrs. Myrtle Allen
A MIDSUMMER VISIT TO
ST. COLMAN’S Church of Ireland, FARAHY
The site of the demolished BOWEN’S COURT
BALLYMACMOY HOUSE &
ANNES GROVE HOUSE & GARDEN
Saturday, 17th July, 2010 @ 10.45am
10.45am Meet at St. Colman’s Church of Ireland Church, Farahy for registration etc.
11.15am Tour of St. Colman’s followed by visit to site of the demolished Bowen’s Court
1.00pm Lunch at Ballymacmoy House followed by a tour of the house, courtesy of Mr. Frederic Hennessy
3.00pm Tour of Annes Grove House & Garden, followed by refreshments, courtesy of Mrs. Jane Annesley
St. Colman's Church, Farahy is noteworthy for its association with the author Elizabeth Bowen (1899-1973), who lived at Bowen's Court and is buried in the churchyard. The church was built in 1721 and is a fine example of a very rare early 18th century Church of Ireland church. Attached to it is an early 18th century schoolhouse that is now used as the vestry.
Bowen’s Court was a classic example of the tall and square 18th century Irish house and was built by Henry Bowen to the designs of Isaac Rothery in 1776. The house was three storeys over a basement and had a seven bay entrance façade with a three bay breakfront and a pedimented door case. The house was the home of Elizabeth Bowen (1899 – 1973) the novelist and it has been immortalised in her book ‘Bowen’s Court’ with its “rows of dark windows set in the light façade against dark trees has the startling, meaning and abstract clearness of a house in a print, a house in which something important occurred once, and seems. from all evidence, to be occurring still”. Due to rising costs the house had to be sold in 1959 and it was demolished in 1961 by its new owner.
Ballymacmoy House is a Regency house built in 1818. It is the original home of the Wild Geese family - the Hennessys of Cognac. The compact estate is located at the edge of the village of Killavullen. It has three and a half miles of exclusive fishing rights along the river Blackwater and has a one acre walled garden. There is also a unique prehistoric private cave on the estate.
Annes Grove House was built in the early eighteenth century. In 1900 Richard Grove Annesley (1879-1966) inherited the property and developed the renowned Robinsonian gardens. After his death in 1966, the task of maintaining the gardens fell upon his son, the late E. P. Grove Annesley, and they are now being conserved by his grandson, Patrick Grove Annesley. The ‘Woodward’ gate lodge has been restored by the Irish Landmark Trust.
Numbers are limited so advance booking is essential. Tickets cost €30 (members) €40 (non-members) including lunch and must be purchased in advance by completing the application form below. N.B. Full details: name, address, contact details & membership no. etc., of each person attending the tour must be provided.
Terms & Conditions: Participation at the discretion of the committee. No bookings accepted without payment. Attendees must provide own transport.
Enquiries to Geraldine O’Riordan. (Tel: 087-2755764 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org)